Quick Exit button – what’s it for?

It’s possible for someone to check which websites you’ve visited. If you’re in any doubt about your safety, use a safer computer. To immediately leave our website anytime, click the quick exit button.

Know your legal rights

It is a crime to behave towards a family member in a way that is physically, sexually, emotionally, psychologically or economically abusive.

This includes behaviour that is threatening, coercive, controlling or dominating, causing that family member to feel fear for their safety or wellbeing. It is also a crime to expose a child to hearing or witnessing the effects of the behaviour mentioned above. Click here to visit the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria website for more information.

You can report domestic violence to the police, who will provide safety and support, investigate any criminal offences and present offenders before the court.

You can apply for an intervention order that can help protect you from further violence. The order can prohibit the abusive person from harassing, threatening or abusing you, or from coming near your home, your work, or other places where you need to go. It is a criminal offence if they disobey the order.

Go to www.legalaid.vic.gov.au for more information about intervention orders and your legal rights.